Visit CloseCombatCentral.com for more Martial Arts content and connect with fellow Martial Artists

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Become A Stronger, Smarter, Healthier You…In 7 Seconds A Day

From: Ultimate Defense System do check this site out

Back when I was about 14 years old, I had a serious problem.
You see while I was sweeping up the state and national tournaments for martial arts, I knew that I didn’t stand a chance to compete in the World Championships.
It wasn’t that I wasn’t good enough, not at all. My kicks were spot on, my punches and combination’s perfect to a “T”. I could even do all the fancy moves…flips, jump spin kicks, no problem.
What I lacked was jumping power. Sure I had the skill to pull it off, but the moves were just missing that extra “pop” that jumping 5 feet into the air gives.
Truth be told, I had a TERRIBLE vertical jump. I’m almost embarrased to say, but it was around 13 inches give or take.
However, winners don’t make excuses, they take action. So right then and there I decided I needed a plan to increase my vertical. Only problem was, between all my training, I didn’t have any time to dedicate to soly training my vertical.
So instead I came up with a wicked clever solution.
I designated a spot in the kitchen…a nice flat smooth surface where I would pass quite often.
And then every time I passed that spot, I’d give my hardest jump and try to touch the ceiling.
At first, I was nearly a foot away from reaching it.
Then, a few months later, it was only 6 inches.
Then one day I could barely brush it with my fingers.
And then, my palm.
It got to the point where I could nearly touch that same spot with the top of my head!
All it took was making a quick, simple, yet productive habit that I could repeat multiple times a day.
I’ve done this in a few ways since then such as…
…a bag of sand in my door way that I’d punch every time I walked through the door to toughen my knuckles.
…balancing on one foot when I dressed every morning, as well as when I shampoo’d and conditioned my hair.
…taking the stairs every day at work.
And most recently, it was installing a pullup bar in my hall, so that every time I passed I’d do one pullup.
Just like jumping, I saw phenomenal results. I started out doing just one pullup every time I passed.
But soon that number grew to 2, then 3, and 4…and now 10. EVERY TIME I PASS.
As you can imagine, that adds up pretty quickly.
The key here is that I’m not doing major activities such as going for a 30 minute jog or anything like that. I’m focussing on one quick and simple thing that I can do every day, and I know will give me great results.
And just like me, you can have great results by creating a simple habit that will better your life.
Below I’ve created a simple step by step plan on how you can take action and improve your quality of life. Read it thoroughly, and don’t hesitate. Who needs new years when you have today?!
No time like the present!
Step#1
Pick out a simple thing in your life you’d like to improve upon. Make it as specific as possible. Maybe you want to improve your foreign language vocabularary, so you go out and get a book on common spanish phrases. Maybe you just want to get ripped abs for the summer, so like me you get a pullup bar(yes you can work your abs on a pullup bar).
Whatever it is, think of it now. Make it as specific and narrowed down as you can.
Step #2
Decide how you will work on this specific area of your life. Get creative! You have lots of spare time where you could be multi-tasking. Showers, driving, think about all the unused time you could be more productive, and pick a way to do it. I’ve given you a few of my examples, but you have to come up with your own on this one, unless of course you want to do one of mine.
The key here is to make it a quick activity that you can do over and over. A good judge is that it should be a quick activity that takes anywhere from 2-14 seconds. Anymore, and you’ll find it a hassle rather than a habit. Note:This doesn’t apply if your doing it during otherwise wasted time IE: Showering or driving etc.
Step #3
Decide on when you will do it. Will you do it every morning drive? Every time you pass that spot in the hall? Every time you first sit down at work? Whatever it is, plan it out and decide how you can incoorporate it into your schedule.
Step#4
This is the hardest step! You’re going to have to actually *gasp* do it! Take action, and make it a habit of your life. Losers make excuses, winners take action.
The first few times you’ll forget it, thats ok. Persist! It can take up to 14 days to build a really solid habit, but once you do, the results will amaze you.
Step #5
Now that you’ve got your plan of action all mapped out, scroll down to the comments section below, and post it for the world to see! Posting a public commitment to bettering yourself lets you stay more dedicated, and serves as a gentle reminder to yourself.
I highly encourage you to give the system a try and see what it can do for you.
I want to point out that this is NOT an excuse not to exercise, nor is it a replacement. Instead, it’s just a way to get a little more leverage out of your day.
We all get 24 hours, but if you can squeeze a bit more productivity out of them, you’ll be amazed at how far it can go!
Best of luck,
Blake “The Rebel Martial Artist” Holloway
P.S. In case anyone was wondering, I have a 29.5″ vertical. More than double the average males vertical.
P.P.S. If your a fitness lover like me, I’ve got a special treat coming for you guys soon. I can’t reveal too many details yet, but look forward to it!


~武德为首, Martial Art Morality comes first

No comments:

Post a Comment